For dogs who with normal pituitary gland function, the gland produces ACTH which tells the adrenal glands to produce cortisol. Cortisol is essential to the human and canine body and plays a significant role in many of the body’s function.
What Causes Cushings Disease in Dogs?
There are three believed causes of the disease:
- 15% of the time a tumor will be present one of the adrenal glands.
- 80% of the time a pituitary gland will be present.
- The overuse of steroids often used for allergy treatments and other conditions.
Symptoms of Cushings Disease
- Increased appetite
- Increased thirst
- Thinning of hair and skin
- Excessive urination and accidents in the house
- Heavy panting
- Increased risk of diabetes, heart, muscular and nervous system issues
- Weakening of the immune system
- Pot belly or droopy belly