For dogs who with normal pituitary gland function, the gland produces ACTH which tells the adrenal glands to produce cortisol. Cortisol is essential to the human and canine body and plays a significant role in many of the body’s function.
What Causes Cushings Disease in Dogs?
There are three believed causes of the disease:
- 15% of the time a tumor will be present one of the adrenal glands.
- 80% of the time a pituitary gland will be present.
- The overuse of steroids often used for allergy treatments and other conditions.
Symptoms of Cushings Disease
- Increased appetite
- Increased thirst
- Thinning of hair and skin
- Excessive urination and accidents in the house
- Heavy panting
- Increased risk of diabetes, heart, muscular and nervous system issues
- Weakening of the immune system
- Pot belly or droopy belly
Another natural option for treating your dog’s Cushings disease is our herbal formula, specifically created by a master herbalist for dogs diagnosed with this disease. You can learn more here.
By feeding a wholesome, naturally healthy species appropriate diet for your dog, including a few herbs and supplements along with daily exercise which helps reduce stress, avoiding toxins to the body, your dog’s symptoms of this disease can be managed.