It’s common for dogs to become incontinent with age. It’s also common that your old friend has no idea and is just as surprised as you are that his bed is wet. That’s why we put together this page sharing natural remedies for urinary incontinence in dogs.
The following natural options have proven successful for other owners and could also help your old timer. Keep in mind that all dogs are different and every supplement or remedy doesn’t work for every dog. If one doesn work, move onto the next.
All Natural Remedies for Dog Incontinence
- 2 parts plain Greek yogurt with 1 part Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar seems to work well when a bladder infection is involved. For large dogs mix 2 tablespoons yogurt and 1 tablespoon of vinegar together and feed. Adjust for your dog’s size.
- Rub wheat germ on your dog’s belly weekly. I know what you’re thinking, but what can I say; it was recommended by a holistic vet and it worked really well for Jane’s dog. 🙂
- Causticum helps roughly 50% of dogs and if it’s going to work, the results will be immediate. If you don’t see results right away, it’s believed that causticum for dogs not going to work. Causticum for dogs dosage is 6 or 12C once daily for five days, then as needed. However, Causticum 200C is recommended for dogs with who have incontinence due to arthritic issues or paralysis. Give on pellet (without touching) before bed one evening, give causticum to your dogs the morning again, then before bed again. Then once weekly give causticum to your old dogs.
- One holistic vet recommended using Methionine to acidify a dog’s urine. She recommends caution though: DO NOT USE THE METHIONINE METHOD IF YOUR DOG CURRENTLY HAS OR PREVIOUSLY HAD OXALATE STONES. YOU WOULD NOT WANT TO MAKE YOUR DOG’S URINE MORE ACIDIC WHEN THERE’S A HISTORY OF STONES. 2. DO NOT USE IF YOUR DOG IS ON A SPECIFIC DIET DESIGNED TO ACIDIFY THE URINE.
- Cornsilk is another remedy that many of you may already know about. But, if you’re not aware of how to use it for incontinence, you can read more here. One of our pet owners says that cornsilk combined with NatureVet Bladder Support works well for their medium size lab mix. You can learn more here.
- Lyssa shared that adding MSM to her dog’s daily diet worked well for her 45 lb. lab. She started her on 500mg a day, and cut back to 250mg. However, her leaking wasn’t too bad to begin with. If you decide on MSM, I would use this form from Bulk Supplements brand which is completely natural. It’s powder form, so 1/8tsp. would be equivalent to 500mg. MSM may also help with joint pain.
- For dogs suffering from infection which can cause leaking, try D Mannose which works WONDERS! This is a good brand labeled specifically for dogs. D Mannose Dogs
- Keep your dog hydrated! Don’t assume that your dog drinks the amount of water he needs.buy bactrim online https://rebalancenyc.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/png/bactrim.html no prescription pharmacy
Most people don’t drink the amount of water they should. Make it a habit to give your dog foods and liquids that will help to balance his urinary pH. Dogs that eat kibble often end up with kidney and bladder issues. First, feed your dog a GOOD diet that consists of natural foods you could eat yourself. Second, give your dog hydrating foods and liquds such as watermelon and coconut water.
- While dog diapers may not be a cure, they can certainly help, especially when combined with some of the above recommendations.
Typical Causes of Urine Leaking in Dogs
- Tumor or growth that interferes with the bladder sphincter.
- An Ectopic Ureter is something that typically happens in younger dogs who were born with faulty urinary tract system. Typically the ureters connect to the bladder, but in the case of an ectopic ureter, they can connect to the uterus, vagina or urethra.buy stendra online https://rebalancenyc.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/png/stendra.html no prescription pharmacy
You can read more here.
- Bladder stones can cause urine leakage.
- Spaying (according to Dr. Dobias, many of these dogs are overstretched on the surgery table).
- Excitability (happy to see you).
- Periodically, steroids can cause leaking.buy avodart online https://rebalancenyc.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/png/avodart.html no prescription pharmacy
- Dobias also suggests that hyperactive adrenal glands can occasionally cause bladder leakage for dogs.
- Old age and muscle weakness.
- Urinary tract infections.
See our article here on dog incontinence to find even more detail about the above causes and how they affect dogs.
So, it’s best to first identify what, if anything is causing your dog to wet his bed. You should rule out serious issues by seeing a holistic vet first, before determining that it’s simply old age. It’s embarrassing for dogs; they know it’s wet where they were laying, but they can’t understand why either.
So, be patient and kind to your old friend. And please, if there’s something that you have tried and it stopped your dog’s urine leaking; share it here, so that someone else can try it on their own dog.