When Lulu was diagnosed with liver disease, we immediately went to work on what we needed to do to not only keep her alive, but provide quality of life for her as well.
DOG LIVER DISEASE IS CRITICAL ….
When we refer to a natural treatment for liver problems in dogs, we’re targeting diet and the necessary supplements your dog needs to battle the disease. Now that your dog has been diagnosed with liver disease, you MUST BE very careful with his or her diet and anything that enters the body whether through the mouth or the skin.
This is what we used for Lulu who weighed 72 lbs; you can determine how much you need for your own dog’s weight…
- Coconut Oil – Must be ORGANIC, COLD PRESSED, EXTRA VIRGIN – 1-1/2 HEAPING Tablespoons Daily (divided AM/PM)
- N-Acetyl Cysteine aka NAC (a must for liver disease) at 150mg per twenty lbs of dog. We like Twinlabs Nac
- Vitamin E – 400IU daily
- B50 (NOT a STRESS/TIME RELEASE FORMULA) – 1 (One) daily
- Selenium 100 mcgs.
- Alpha Lipoic Acid – 1 capsule TWICE daily
- Chlorella made by NOW Foods – 1 (One) TWICE daily
- Milk Thistle – 300 mg. TWICE Daily (Milk Thistle is VERY, VERY SAFE. For advanced liver disease and very sick dogs, use 200mg per 10 lbs of your dog’s weight)
- Whey Protein – The one we used years ago was extremely expensive. TGS is just as good and very economical. Add one scoop to 8oz. of food once daily.
Organizing Your Dog’s Daily Supplements
It can get a little confusing and overwhelming when you’re dealing with all these different supplements. What we did was purchase one of those plastic weekly-daily pill organizers and separate all her vitamins one week in advance. They’re cheap and really do help.