Can dogs eat honey? Is honey good for dogs?

Two questions we often hear. Honey has helped dogs with all sorts of issues including allergies, infections, kennel cough, digestion, wounds including burns, hot spots, and pressure sores.

A few things that make honey so special is that it is naturally high in enzymes, high in antioxidants and flavonoids, and it kills anti-resistant bacteria including MRSA.

Here you’ll find which types of honey should be used for your dog’s specific conditions. Our article also gives clear instructions on how to use honey for your older dog.

Benefits of using Honey for Dogs:

Honey as A Wound Dressing for Burns, Infections, Hot Spots & Pressure Sores for Dogs

Honey used as a form of topical treatment is definitely permissible, but always make sure that you are using the best quality honey you can find – as outlined below:

• What type of honey to use: The best honey to use for burns, infections and pressure sores is pure Manuka Honey.  Clinical trials show that applying honey as a wound dressing eliminates bacterial infections, reduces inflammation, swelling and pain, and increases the growth of new skin.  It seals and keeps the area moist (including skin grafts) while protecting from sticking to bandages.
  • Directions for burns:  If the burn is a DEEP open burn, then see a vet immediately.  You can, however, apply cool (NOT cold) water gently to the burn and all the vet asap.  For MINOR BURNS: Trim the hair around the burn.  You’ll want to lightly clean the burned area with Diluted Apple Cider Vinegar.  Dilute it using 10 tablespoons of cool water to 1 teaspoon of vinegar.  Vinegar is an antiseptic that helps to cleanse the area.  Again, only use this Vinegar method on minor/slight burns. Never use on open or large Burns. Next, apply a thick coat of honey every 10 minutes until the pain decreases. Apply a LIGHT bandage over the area. Don’t allow your dog to lick or bother the area. An Elizabethan or neck collar might be necessary for a while.
  • Directions for pressure sores: Trim the hair around the area.  Gently blot to clean the wound. You can apply the honey directly by very gently placing a little honey over the wound with a clean spatula. Cover with a non-stick pad and wrap with gauze (not too tight).  You can also apply the honey directly to the non-stick pad and then wrap with gauze to keep in place.
  • Directions for hot spots: You MUST trim or shave the hair surrounding the hot spot until you can see healthy skin.  If not, all the bacteria, pus and infection become trapped within the hair.  It’s also critical that you clean the area before applying the honey.  You can use Povidone-Iodine that most pharmacy’s or even supermarkets carry.  Dilute a little of the Povidone Iodine with water to an ice tea color.  Then use soft gauze to gently blot and clean the hot spot. Do this a minimum of twice daily. Apply a light layer of Manuka honey to your dog’s hot spot. Do the process of cleaning and applying the Manuka honey a minimum of twice daily.  If the hot spot grows instead of getting smaller, seek veterinary care immediately.

using honey for dogs

Precaution: When using honey as a wound dressing, it’s very important to use Manuka Honey in liquid form, which means it should be soft and pour easily. Do not use crystallized honey on a burn or open wound! The crystals are sharp and can cause even more pain to your dog’s open wound.

How to soften crystallized or hard honey: Place the jar in a pot of very hot water (don’t microwave) until it can easily be poured.  Cool before placing on your pet.

Honey for Kennel Cough

• What type of honey to use: Manuka honey can be helpful for dogs with the symptoms of Kennel Cough.
  • Directions: Feed 1/2 up to 1 teaspoon depending on your dog’s weight.  Administer 4 times daily.

Honey for Dogs Digestion

• Directions: Large dogs 1 tablespoon a day, medium dogs 2 teaspoons a day, small dogs 1 teaspoon a day.What type of honey for dogs to use: Again, Manuka honey works best for digestive issues.

Honey May Boost Your Old Dog’s Energy Level

Honey is a natural source of carbohydrates which increases energy.

• What type of honey to use: You can use either Manuka or local honey when it comes to boosting energy.

As you can see, honey offers some amazing benefits for dogs.  If you need to search out raw local honey for your dog’s allergies, this page may help.

How Honey Can Help Dogs with Allergies

Like us, many dogs to suffer from environmental allergies. Spring, summer, and fall can trigger these sensitivities in dogs with symptoms such as rubbing the face, licking feet and thighs and scratching.

However, it’s important to make sure that you’re not confusing what you think are environmental allergies and your dog’s real problem is a food allergy (or both). Learn more about dog food allergies.

Follow the guidelines below how to use honey for dogs with allergies:

• What type of honey to use: Make sure you purchase local raw, unfiltered honey, or better yet, purchase local raw wildflower honey.  The wildflower honey will give your dog the best results because it covers so many different plants and flowers. This can often be purchased from bee farms.  Avoid Manuka honey when using for allergies since you need local, raw honey.
  • Directions: 1 Tablespoon of raw wildflower local honey twice daily for large dogs such as labs. Use this as a guide and adjust according to the size of your dog. You must do this daily or the allergy symptoms will reappear.

THE QUALITY OF THE HONEY MATTERS:

When it comes to honey for our canine friends, the trick is in the quality and the quantity of what you intend to use.

This is because of the high sugar content in honey, which can lead to problems such as obesity and tooth decay in dogs.

If you are feeding your dog the sweet stuff, you’ll want to ensure you brush his or her teeth on a regular basis. And honey should, of course, not be given to diabetic or obese dogs since it may compound the already-present problems of their respective conditions.

Tests show that most supermarket grade “A” processed honey is diluted with cheap products such as high fructose corn syrup, been heated and quickly cooled giving it a smoother look inside the bottle.  What this means is, it is useless as far as any benefits go.  In order for your dog to receive any benefits from honey, it MUST be either local, fresh honey or Manuka.

*PLEASE READ BEFORE ADMINISTERING: Avoid feeding diabetic dogs and dogs with cancer honey without first discussing with your holistic veterinarian because it’s a natural sweetener and sweeteners have an effect on both of these diseases. Avoid feeding honey to puppies under one year old due to the possibility of botulism poisoning.

when to use honey for dogs
Editor’s Note: The blogpost was originally published in August 2011 and completely revamped and updated for accuracy on October 2019.
Recent Posts
Note: Please note that we no longer respond to questions in the comment section of our blog. If you have any queries regarding the blog content please contact us through our contact form here Contact Us.
Showing 139 comments
  • Catherine

My 8 year old Yorkshire Terrier has had an upset tummy for 2 days. He starved himself the first day and seemed improved the second day. However this morning he is again eating grass and throwing up and his bowels are very slack.
    He is also very lethargic.
    I read that a teaspoonful of honey would help. Is this correct?

• Mary A

Janie, thank you for your reply. I do cover the wound at night to stop her licking and she sleeps with a buster collar on. I think it may be the way she lies (likes to curl up) thats putting a little pressure on it. I am going to put a couple of steri strips on to hold it. I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

My pleasure Mary!

• Mary A

can manuka help healing a spay wound. ” 2 weeks on and a small 2cm section keeps weeping slightly and a tiny amount of blood (only overnight when dog in bed – fine during the day). Been checked by vets twice now and told to keep it clean. I clean it 3 times a day with boiled water and salt, a scab forms during the day but it always weeps a little over night -doesn’t seem to be healing. Should I give orally as well as topically – heard it is a good antibiotic too – my dog is small around 6.4kg / 14lbs. appreciate your advise (thought about putting a couple of ster strips on to hold it together when shes in bed)

Hi Mary:

I’m sorry to hear about your little girl. I would definitely try the manuka honey for healing by using a thin layer 3 times daily.

I would also pay close attention to her at night. Her sleeping surface could be irritating it, or she may be licking it at night. If she’s licking it at night, I would cover it with a thin layer of clean gauze, AFTER cleaning it at night. I would leave the gauze off during the day when she’s with you.

I hope this helps.

• Faith stecker

I would be so so appreciative of any help.. I have not been able to find a holistic vet or any help,when I saw your website and your responses to people who need your help. I saw your answer about nodode Ledum. Do you know if that nosode would help a dog who was exposed or bitten probably 3 years ago, but is asymptomatic.
    I have his urine tested and try to follow the most natural care to keep him heathy and a strong immune system. I tested his antigen levels 2 weeks ago, after being told Lyme positive dogs even if not showing any symptoms should be given a month of antibiotics,although his antigen level was elevated, his immune response was high… Could you give me your opinion as I am concerned..I want to keep him healthy, but wonder if it’s the right decision to treat him at this point.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    FM Sfecker

Hi Faith:

I would follow the instructions below since your dog was bitten years ago:

#1: Start with Ledum palustre 200C: Give every 3 hours for the first day, then twice daily for a week. Then twice weekly for a month and finally once per week for another month.

If it was a recent bite (within a few weeks), the above protocol can be very effective. Again, in your dog’s case, I would follow all 3 steps:

#2: Aurum arsenicum 200, twice daily for one week and in the same manner as Ledum. Aurum arsenicum is a capital choice for when a poisonous infection arises, and this is one of those times.

#3: For older tick bites, it is vital to take all precautions because illness has most likely set in, the remedy made from the Lyme tick is called either Borrellia 30 or simply Lyme Nosode 30. You can find it online. It is used right along with the previous remedies.

I hope this helps.

• Judith

Hi, just want to say there is an effective treatment for humans with Lyme which I guess would also work for animals – sound frequency healing: http://www.spooky2.com... there is a forum and knowledgeable people, it’s an amazing system, which can be set up at home for a few hundred dollars investment which is incredible really when considering all the possible uses and treatments – it can kill bacteria and viruses etc and also regenerate bones etc, I am a beginner so don’t quote me but please look into it…. many blessings to you and your furry friends
        Judith

• Julie F.

I have an 8 month old puppy that was bitten or stung by something and one side of his face swelled up, we brought him inside due to the heat and suspected it may have been a snake or spider bite.A few days before the swelling began I pulled a tick out of his ear but also saw a water moccasin in our yard. After we brought him he began scratching.He did it so much he opened up the swollen area on his head. There was a lot of blood along with a horrible smell we suspected to be venom of some sort or perhaps infection.But the swelling did go down significantly after this. I began wrapping bandages around his head to keep it covered and watch for signs of infection in case it became serious enough to take him to the vet. My husband and I were both in the medical field for many years so we knew the basics on what to look for. Unfortunately, my puppy did not want to keep the bandages on. I made a temporary Ecollar to put on to keep the bandages on and to keep him from scratching. We took him into the vet two days later because he took the collar, bandages, skin and all off. This left a very large open wound on his head and the side of his face. The vet gave him antibiotics,betadine, pain medicine and an E-Collar. He is doing well but still having an issue of keeping the bandages on, even with the collar. The wound is scanning over nicely and new skin is growing. But now, one of his brothers has swelling on one side of his head that started 2 days ago. We pulled a tick off his eyelid the day before the swelling started.
    My question is how can I give the the honey? Topically? If so, how? Orally? If so, how much? They both weigh around 70lbs. Thank you!

Hi Julie:

I’m sorry to hear about your puppy and his brother. This might be a little late, but nonetheless, I’ll share it anyway.

I would use the same instructions I give in the article for hot spots and use the MANUKA honey by applying a thin layer 3 times daily. You might also want to consider using Ledum 200Csince they both had ticks on them. I would give every 3 hrs for the first day giving it, then twice daily for a week, then twice weekly for a month, then once weekly for one month. This should help with any lyme issues if you do it right away.

• conishkee

Hi. My Maltese Mix, Mon-Cheri, whom I acquired 2 weeks ago, was born on 3/21/2017 and, when I got her, she weighed 2 lbs. 9 ozs. I immediately noticed that she had a tendency to scratch around her bottom and neck areas a lot. She also has a tendency to lick her front paws several times throughout the day. I contacted her vet who told me they would check things out for [possible] fleas on her next appointment when she is to receive her second set of shots, which is 6/2/2017. As indicated above, you can imagine how small she is, and so I was wondering whether raw honey would work for her. These vets charge an arm and a leg, so if I could try to remedy the situation for her at home, I’d like to know if I should go that route and, if so, how much honey and when would I administer it to my furbaby pup? Additionally, there are so many people on various sites out there giving advice on this subject matter where it has been indicated that the honey be diluted and then squirted into the mouth. I’m overwhelmed and at a loss as to which way to go. Please advise. Thank you.

• Jody

Hello Coinshkee…..I was searching various sites for dosage of honey for puppies with kennel cough and came across your post. It appears 1 teaspoon for small dogs 1x day is sufficient, being your dog is so small maybe 1/2 teaspoon per day. It appears from all I have read it’s not going to hurt a dog if you give it a little too much as it is easily digested. If you are really concerned you could contact a homeopathic vet and they could give you a recommendation. What I really wanted to tell you is I do rescue and have worked with many dogs over the last 20+ years that have allergies that present themselves as licking paws, tummy, rear end, scratching ears, chronic ear infections, rashes on tummy, pustules between toes, on tummy, on rear, etc., and the cause is a weakened immune system which isn’t allowing the food they eat to property break down in their body. It all starts in the gut. Many traditional vets won’t recognize this is an issue because they are not taught this in their schooling like homeopathic vets. Honey is a great supplement to add and will help but it doesn’t get to the root of the issue and it’s not a cure. Feed either a raw diet of which their are many or a high quality kibble and soft food that is grain FREE, key being grain FREE. Many dogs also have issues with chicken and lamb, no rhyme or reason they just do. There are many great choices now from specialized stores that carry good quality food, treats, etc., even Petco and PetSmart carry these foods. You can get a grain FREE with duck, or bison or boar, or you can go with the grain FREE chicken and see how your dog does, if she/he gets better (give it 30 days) then it was the grains, if not better than change to duck, bison or boar, anything but chicken and lamb. Also, it’s important to make sure your dog’s immune system is strong so I highly suggest you choose a good product that will get it built back up and keep it strong which will also prevent illness, etc. I personally use homeopathic products from PetWellBeing.com and Nzymes.com with great success, even my traditional vets are impressed. Also, make sure you change up any treats you feed your dog to grain FREE and maybe chicken/lamb free. Hope this helps with the scratching issue. I try to educate people as often as I can because most vets won’t discuss it with you and what you don’t know you don’t know.

• Martha Rivera

Hello…. my 13 year old 4 pound Yorkie was diagnosed with collapsed trechea…. it attackes him more at night specially after drinking water! He gets up atleast 4 times at night to drink water then he starts gagging coughing and choking!!! It is also attaching him early mornings too! What king of honey should I give him? How many times a day??? Please reply, feeling desperate…… Martha Rivera

• Lori B

Was Martha’s question ever answered? My 12 year old Schipperke does the same thing.
      I just started taking Manuka for a cough and wondering if it will help her. She also has a tummy problem we don’t know how to manage. If she doesn’t get enough food during the day, when she gets up the next morning she will go outside and frantically eat grass and dirt. It is impossible to get her to stop. We have to chase her down and physically carry her in the house and lock her in to keep her from doing this. She pants alot and appears to be in alot of distress. She really needs to lose weight but every time we cut back the food a little bit this happens. As for her diet, I make home made beef broth with vegetables to which we add boiled chicken breast and a little kibble. We feed her this twice a day. She gets 3 small meals of kibble or chicken breast in between meals to keep her stabilized.

Hi Lori:

I’m sorry to hear about your girl Your problem is definitely diet.

I sent you a private email.

• Thomas Hall

Hi There, you site is very interesting on how to treat dogs using Manuka Honey, my Labradoddle was resently diagnosed with Laryngeal paralysis the vet prescribed a course of Prednicare Steroids 5mg daily is this treatment effective?
    I have read the side effects that these steroids can course, as of yet I have not used them instead I went and brought a jar of Manuka honey 20+ this morning and gave her a tablespoonful to see how she goes, she did collapse in the street about two months ago I thought she was dead I pulled her up by her harness and shook her luckily she came round. I read on your web information that you treat dogs with this decease with Colloidal Silver is this treatment effective?
    also what about giving my natural goats milk or goats yogurt which contains natural steroid? I await your reply thank you Tom

Hi Tom:

Sorry for the delay. I’m also sorry to hear about your old girl’s LP. Not sure if you seen our article on LP, but you can view it here.

I actually have a dog that comes to visit with me often (a chocolate lab) and she too has LP. The Manuka Honey isn’t going to hurt, but I’m not sure how much it will really help. My recommendations are as follows and what we do for Boo who is doing great.

Provide Accupuncture once weekly for 5 weeks and then taper down to whatever your holistic vet (if you don’t have a holistic vet, please find one) recommends. Feed a home made diet or a partial home made that could include a good food such as Dr. Harveys or The Honest Kitchen and include meat, eggs and low sugar, low carb veggies.

Talk to your holistic vet about the Chinese herb called ER Chen Tang which helps Boo, or you can purchase it online. Here’s a link so that you can review it.

However, I DO HIGHLY RECOMMEND spraying her throat with Colloidal Silver on a daily basis. We do this for Boo and have seen great results. Whatever you do, PLEASE INCLUDE THE ACUPUNCTURE BECAUSE IT HELPS TREMENDOUSLY! All of the above should be done.

I hope this helps you Thomas.

YourOldDog.com

• vanessa

My 11 month old has ate something or multiple somethings that are causing her not to eat or drink anything. we took her to the vet and had xrays and 3 bags of fluid and xrays again they are thinking she should be able to pass whatever she ate but they want us to keep bringing her in for fluids $$$ My mom told be to give her honey and i found your sight. how much do you recommend for digestion to help get things moving? i have been able to syring feed her water and food and she has kept it down not i just need to get it out the other end. If no change i will take her back tomorrow.

• janie

Did they do x-rays for an obstruction Vanessa?

• Larry

My 14 year old Chihuahua had dental surgery last year in July, 2 -3 weeks later he started coughing a lot. I took him back to the vet for check up and was told he had a collapsed Trachea? I mentioned I had read several articles about dogs developing a collapsed Trachea from dental surgery, but she didn’t touch on the subject. My dog had NEVER coughed before the procedure! I refused to put him on steroids and other pills that would just make him sleepy and out of it!!! Will wildflower honey really help with my dogs cough? I’ve also purchased some Chinese herbal products made for the collasped trachea but its very expensive. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi Larry:

I’m sorry to hear about your little guy. Thanks so much for sharing your story about how dental surgery caused your him to develop a collapsed trachea.

I would definitely try the honey, lemon warm water syrup to see if it works for him. It can’t hurt. I would definitely look into colloidal silver as well. We use it for a dog with Laryngeal Paralysis and it really has helped.

I hope this helps Larry!

• Kaipo

Can my dog take Manuka honey to help with his stomach ulcers? He is 13 yrs old and also he’s just had a appendectomy because of a mass, which then we were told by our vet was malignant and he was diagnosed with harmangiosarcoma.

Hi Kaipo:

I’m sorry to hear about your old boy. Because you’re dealing with cancer, I would be hesitant to use honey or ANY sweeteners.

Instead, look into this product by Ask Ariel which include mastic gum and l glutamine which is what I would recommend. Gastro ULC

• Sharon corden

My 15 month old cockapoo went in for a minor op last week to have 2 puppy teeth removed and 2 days later nearly died from this. He had a collapsed trachea and developed Aspirational Pneumonia and was hospitalised for 5 days . Luckily he has pulled through but we feel devastated as the poor little thing may have problems when he gets older. We picked him up yesterday and a few people mentioned about manuka Honey which I went and purchased but he doesn’t like it. Any suggestions on how to get him to take it would be appreciated.

• Kim

I did buy raw local honey today and have started feeding it to him. But can it cause diabetes with prolonged use?

• janie

I don’t know that it will directly CAUSE diabetes. Many people and dog owners regularly take honey and feed it to their dogs daily.

• Kim

I have a 10 year old bulldog with severe allergies. He takes Vanectyl P twice a day. Can he have the raw honey too? And can the raw honey over time cause diabetes?

Hi Kim:

Honey might help a little, but it HAS TO BE YOUR LOCAL HONEY. I suggest that you read our page on yeast infections that share great information that works for all allergies. Here’s a link.

• Jackie

I have a catahoula Leopard i adopted from a shelter. He was on prednisone when we got him due to what they said was a skin infection. Ive had to take him to the vet every month due to the reoccurring problem. Which is itching everywhere, red bumps hair loss licking and chewing on paws and not to mention the dirty feet smell he gets when these episodes happen. They give him antibiotic for a skin yeast infection, another anribiotic for bacterial skin infection and prednisone every time. It gets better while on medication but comes right back after he finishes them. We have been prescribed many different shampoos as well. We have tried several different dog foods like science diet and grain free diets. Will honey help him. I bought wild flower unprocessed local honey.

Hi Jackie:

I’m real sorry to hear about your boy. The first thing you must do is to STOP the antibiotics AND steroids if he’s on any. These will both only make the problem worse as time goes on. Honey may help a little with his allergies, but it MUST BE A LOCAL HONEY THAT IS NATIVE TO YOUR PARTICULAR AREA. Any honey won’t do.

I highly recommend that you read our page on yeast infections here and follow the advice closely. You have to build up his immune system Jackie, naturally.

I also recommend that you start bathing him immediately with Moosh and use as often as needed. It’s safe to use and often as needed. I would use at least a couple times a week to start until you see improvement, then back down and use as needed.

I hope this helps.

• Karin

Hello Janie,
    Thank you for the wonderful details you’ve outlined regarding when and how to use honey with our dogs. My 11 y.o., 15lb Yorkie-Pom has beem dx with PLN about 2 years ago. He also suffers from a severe skin allergy that he’s had for numerous years. Last round of conventional vet rx nearly took his life and required a blood transfusion. He has also now developed a severe case of bad breath, which I think stems from gastrointestinal issues because he is no longer the voracious eater he used to be. He also coughs quite a bit, vet suggested it could be tracheal collapse, but I also wonder if this is also related to gastrointestinal upset. We have had him on a children’s probiotic powder for a few days, but haven’t seen a difference yet.
    Would you have any recommendations regarding diet – he had been fairly high protein most of his life, but with losing protein in his urine, we try to stay under 30%. We tried a homemade diet, but were afraid we might be missing needed nutrients, and could not supplement with otc vitamins in order to refrain from taxing his kidneys more. Any suggestions would be so appreciated. Thank you.

Hi Karin:

You’re very welcome and I’m glad you like the page on how to use honey for your dog.

Can I ask what diet you’ve fed in the past that was high protein and what supplements you currently give or gave to your little guy now or in the past? Has he been diagnosed with kidney disease Karin?

Hi Debra:

When is the last time you vaccinated her and how often have you vaccinated her? How long has she been having seizures?

• Nancy

I have a rough Collie who is 13 years 4 months. My vet thinks he may have cancer. (Either a large bladder or a mass on X-ray)back legs very weak but no arthritis..and weight loss..She gave pain meds just to keep him comfortable and gave him a few months but it has been 3 months now and he sleeps a lot but wakes up and asks to go outside. Still wants to be petted. Still eats his rice, chicken and veggies. Hubby says I’m not wanting to face his death but I want to keep trying to cure him. Any herbs or products I can add? He did a great job raising and protecting our now 18 year old son who I guess like mom refuses to think about our boy not being here with us.

Hi Nancy:

I’ll send you a private email.

• Phyllis Rouzer

My 10 yrs old, Yorkie poo is over weight, no energy, has like eczema, she want scratched a lot. Will honey help this? She weighs 25 lbs.

• Angie

My sons dog is 11 months and she has drank very little water and not eating. She’s been vomiting each time she eats so can he give her honey? That was recommended by a relative but not sure of how much to give her. She is a med size

Hi Angie:

If your sons pup isn’t eating or and especially drinking water (or very little) I urge you to get her to a HOLISTIC vet in your area, please.

I don’t know what you’re feeding, how many vaccinations the dog has had or other details. I worry that this pup needs much more than honey.

• Midge

Hi Janie,
    I have a Chinese crested she scratching all the time I see like these little nodes on her and some pimples.
    I have been given her organic coconut oil which helps can O give her honey also ? She only weighs 3 kg.
    Midge.

Hi Midge:

You can try giving her honey. But if you’re giving it for what you think may be allergies, just remember that the honey has to be pure LOCAL honey from your area.

Feed lots of whole fresh foods, give a good multivitamin as well.

Hope this helps.

• linda kiff

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR COMMENT. I FELT IT WAS SO REASURING AT THIS DIFFICULT TIME. EVERY BLESSING TO YOU.

Awe, thank you Linda for the blessing. Happy holidays to you and your family. 🙂

• linda kiff

i don’t know about munanka honey. but i have given my dog tesco’s every day value honey (which i use on my porrage each day. my dog is so much calmer, she is old now and very restless i have just started to give her just 1/2 teaspoon and she settles down nicely in the evening. she was diagnosed with a fatty liver earlier this year the vet gave her 6 months which was up in sept. but she is still with me. i sure it is something to do with the honey. what does other readers think or is it just coinsendense??? would love to hear your comments.

• janie

Dogs respond differently Linda, so I certainly don’t doubt that it helps her. YOU know your old girl better than anybody.

Great job!

• Myra Barr

My Whippet/JR was just dx with CHF. Would honey help with the dry cough ? He is so uncomfortable. Thanks!

Hi Myra:

Your boy needs a high protein diet (lots of meat and egg, some soft steamed kale and green beans.

You should give him Hawthorn Berry and COQ10. Here’s a link for the brand of Hawthorn Berry I recommend: Dr. Christophers Hawthorn Berry.

If you let me know how much he weighs, I tell you how much to give.

• frank

Can this help treat MRSP in dogs. Rocco is 11.5 years old and has been fighting this for 3 months. He has circular lesions in different areas of his body. Topically would be a challenge bc they are in a bunch of diff spots. it should help internally?

• yourolddog

Hi Frank:

I’m so sorry to hear about Rocco. I can’t say for sure that honey would do it alone. I can tell you what I would do though. I don’t know what you’re feeding, but if it’s some dry food, I would dump it and start on a home made diet that includes plenty of meat, eggs and roughly 1/4% of the diet in soft leafy green vegetables and herbs such as parsley, cilantro. I would also include shitake mushroom.

I would include a good fish oil and not a cheap one, Colostrum and a GOOD WHOLEFOOD multivitamin. I would include a good local honey as well — it can’t hurt! I would also include a little garlic daily for one week and then one week off and so on, (despite what you read, you can safely use this powerful natural antibiotic). There article will give you the correct dosage.

I would completely stop using chemical flea and tick products if you’re using them. I would avoid all vaccinations as well!

You have to build the immune system from the inside out…. I would flood his body and bombard his immune system with good food and supplements and eliminate any poisons thru vaccinations and flea and tick treatments.

I hope this helps Frank.

• Francie Colby

What age do you start with raw honey? My boy Fuji is 11 months old and got his ichiys from diet change when we boarded him!

• yourolddog

Hi Francie:

I’m sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Usually when the dog starts to wean (when the pup starts to eat other foods vs just it’s mother’s milk) is considered a safe time to start feeding honey Francie.

However, you MUST use LOCAL HONEY and not store bought junk honey.

Hope this helps.

• Sharon

What if my dog has environmental allergies and digestive issues, allergic to protein.
    And my other dog had congestive heart failure and pulmonary hypertension and coughs constantly, he takes cough meds